Thursday, January 24, 2013

A surrendered heart by a transformed mind

First of all I mean no harm or ill will in this. I am thankful for the Japanese Bible versions we have. I do believe it is the Word of God. I am seeing that the difficulty lies in Culture and etymological nuances that lead to misconceptions. My apologies if offense is taken.

In Romans 12:1&2
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1 そういうわけですから、兄弟たち。私は、神のあわれみのゆえに、あなたがたにお願いします。あなたがたのからだを、神に受け入れられる、聖い、生きた供え物としてささげなさい。それこそ、あなたがたの霊的な礼拝です。

2 この世と調子を合わせてはいけません。いや、むしろ、神のみこころは何か、すなわち、何が良いことで、神に受け入れられ、完全であるのかをわきまえ知るために、心の一新によって自分を変えなさい。(Shin Kai Yaku)

 
καὶ μὴ συσχηματίζεσθε τῷ αἰῶνι τούτῳ ἀλλὰ μεταμορφοῦσθε τῇ ἀνακαινώσει τοῦ νοός ὑμῶν, εἰς τὸ δοκιμάζειν ὑμᾶς τί τὸ θέλημα τοῦ θεοῦ τὸ ἀγαθὸν καὶ εὐάρεστον καὶ τέλειον (Strongs text on blueletterbible.com)

This is where we were studying on Wednesday night. In verse two the word in the Greek is "Nous": mind. In Greek; heart is kardia.  Now in Japanese culture 心の (Kokoro no) is also mind using the kanji for heart or the center of emotions. But also 気 (Ki) is mind in Japanese. It is not a translation error but as Jonathan said a nuance that fits more culturally. Although, a new Japanese believer didn't think so. As I am pointing to my mind cause the text says mind they are wondering why I am not pointing to my heart?

Now in Japanese Culture, which I am very ignorant of. Yes I admit my faults at least my wife tells me to do that, I have learned through this that the center of thinking is their heart. Japanese are very emotional I have found very passionate but are very good at masking the true heart and rendering a stoic heart. Anyway, I have over spoken already and will not address this anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment